Cooling circuits in an injection mold usually consist of straight, drilled holes that may overlap one another. To ensure that the cooling medium flows and does what it’s intended, the holes are sealed at certain points. This is when cooling circuit plugs are needed, as they are appropriate for both sealing off drilled holes and dividing or diverting the cooling medium within a cooling circuit of the injection mold.
The cooling circuit plug is a metal component used in a plastic injection mold or any waterway cooling or heating system to ensure that the cooling medium flows to the required direction. It basically plays an important role in filling. Cooling circuit plugs are not always fixed at the same location. For instance, the threadless type of cooling circuit plugs can be placed virtually anywhere in a cooling system. The cooling circuit plugs expand itself to fit and are fastened on top of the system using a screwdriver.
The main applications of cooling circuit plugs include plastic mold, channel water heating, water channel cooling system, heat conduction system, water stop, etc. Some of the characteristic features include:
● The cooling circuit plugs fill the holes by expanding the O-ring and the shrapnel.
● The elasticity of the cooling circuit plugs can be adjusted at will without any antidiarrheal belt.
● Cooling circuit plugs can be moved at will and ease in any position while in the water channel.
● When the cooling circuit plugs are not positioned in the waterway, you can reposition it by relaxing it first, then spray it with an air gun.
● The working temperature of the cooling circuit plug is typically -10℃~+280℃. It can be used under high temperature, and can ensure reliable performance and longer lifetime.
● Cooling circuit plugs are very easy to install. Any position of cooling holes can be accommodated.
● Cooling circuit plugs come in various types, such as cross head, slotted head, hexagon socket head types.
This can be better answered by addressing the question why a proper cooling system is necessary in an injection mold. Injection mold cooling is essential for dissipating the heat of the molding quickly and evenly. It is imperative that fast and uniform cooling is achieved in order to ensure economical production and production quality. As a matter of fact, adequate mold temperature is one of the major factors to ensure consistent molding in all relevant contexts. If you think cooling usually accounts for two thirds of an injection molding cycle time, the configuration of the cooling circuit will require more attention.
The cooling circuit plugs play a very important role here because they can help divert the heat from some of the mold parts that are frequently and excessively heated, such as sprue bushings and the areas near the gates, which all must be cooled quickly and rigorously. Quick and uniform cooling can be achieved by using highly conductive metals like beryllium coopers. Users can capitalize on these metals to yield optimal cooling, especially in channels that often don’t get enough cooling. Copper is able to convey twice as much heat as carbon steel and four times as much as stainless steel. This however does not indicate that a copper mold will run four times faster than the molds made of stainless steel or carbon steel. But they will be able to run some thin walled parts considerably faster.
Moreover, some of the guidelines for temperature control of injection mold include:
● The core of injection mold always requires effective and efficient cooling.
● You should have symmetrical cooling circuits around the mold cavities that are independent of each other.
● You should have short cooling channels to make sure that the difference in temperature between the inlet and outlet does not exceed 5 degree.
● Serial cooling is generally not preferred as parallel circuits will typically do better.
● Make sure that the cooling circuits in the injection mold is free of dead spots or air bubbles.
● You should try to minimize the head exchange between the injection mold and the machine.
● You should avoid any discrepancy in the flow resistance of cooling channels which are caused by diameter changes.
IMTS Exhibition includes manufacturers from around the world. Send us a message with your requirements and our IMTS Experts will happily help you with your questions.