A ball valve is a type of isolating valve that is designed to open and close the process media flow through the piping systems. Ball valves have different designs and materials depending on the different applications.
A flanged ball valve is essentially a type of ball valve designed with flanged ends. It is one of the end-entry valves that is typically used for shutoff applications of hydraulic circuits. A flanged ball valve ops and closes the operating fluid entirely whenever necessary. It is known for being extremely effective in providing positive leak-tight closure. Flanged ball vales are generally not ideal for throttling and regulating purposes.
Flanged ball valves may be made of a wide variety of standard metals, such as stainless steel and carbon steel, which are the most used because of their temperature tolerance and corrosion resistance. Flanged ball vales can also be made of polymer, and has in fact proven to last longer than other kinds of materials when used in aggressive application.
Moreover, some of the characteristics pertaining to the construction of a flanged ball valve include:
1. Open and close without friction: This completely offset the problem that traditional valves would have with particular regard to frictional sealing.
2. Top loading structure: The flanged ball valve installed directly in the pipelines can be inspected and repaired on-line, which can minimize the costs incurred during service shutdown.
3. Single valve seat design: Flanged ball valves completely eliminate the problem that the medium in the valve cavity could potentially be risky due to abnormal increase to pressure.
4. Wedge-shaped sealing structure: Flanged ball valves rely on the mechanical force provided by the valve stem in order to press the wedge onto the valve seat to seal. Therefore, the sealing performance of the valve is not associated with the change of pipeline pressure.
5. Self-cleaning feature: When the flanged ball valve is tilted away from the valve seat, the fluid in the pipeline passes through the ball sealing surface uniformly. This eliminates the need of manual washing by using high-speed fluid to wash away the accumulations on the sealing surface.
The working process of flanged ball valve can typically be divided into two parts: the opening process and closing process:
1. In closed position, the ball is pressed against the valve seat by mechanical pressure of the valve stem.
2. When the handwheel is turned counterclockwise, the valves stem moves toward the opposite direction, and its bottom angular plane frees the ball from the valve seat.
3. The valve stem continues to lift and interact with the guide pin in the spiral groove of the valve stem so that the ball can begin to rotate without friction.
4. Until it reaches the fully opened position, the valve stem is then raised to the position where the ball rotates to the fully opened position.
1. When closing, the handwheel is turned clockwise, and the valve stem will start to drop as the ball leaves the valve seat and start rotating.
2. Continue to rotate the handwheel, the valve stem is acted upon by the guide pin embedded in the upper spiral groove so that the valve stem and the ball can rotate 90 degree at the same time.
3. When it is about close, the ball would have already rotated 90 degree without contacting the valve seat.
4. In the last few turns of the handwheel, the angular plane at the bottom of the valve stem presses against the ball, achieving a complete tight seal.
Flanged ball valves can be used in a wide array of fluid and gas applications. Some of the gas types that flanged ball valves can handle usually entail natural gas, propane-butane, lighting gas and biogas. Additionally, these flanged ball valves especially excel at supervising the flow of oxygen, water, steam, and other corrosive and non-corrosive liquids. Some of the industrial configuration that used flanged ball valves are energy supply and generation plants, pipeline construction, waste water plants, steel work facilities and power stations.
Flanged ball vales are a fairly new type of valve that is widely used. Some of the advantages of flanged ball valves include:
● The fluid resistance is very little.
● Flanged ball valves have simple structure, and are small and light weight.
● Flanged ball valves shut tight and are reliable.
● Flanged ball valves are easy and convenient to operate. The opening and closing process are quick and only require a 90 degree rotation to be fully opened or closed.
● When fully opened or closed, the sealing surface of the ball and the valve seat are isolated form the medium, and the medium will not cause erosion.
● Flanged ball valves, as mentioned above, have a wide range of applications. This type of valve should generally be installed horizontally in the pipline.
IMTS Exhibition includes manufacturers from around the world. Send us a message with your requirements and our IMTS Experts will happily help you with your questions.
You can see all Flanged Ball Valve categories