A double clamp vise is one type of vises which is available for clamping two workpieces at the same time. A vise is used as assistance of fixing a workpiece in order to further proceed other machining works with tools such as saws, planes, drills, mills, screwdrivers, sandpaper, etc. Typical vises can only clamp one piece of work one time. If several workpieces need to be worked on, multiple vises should be operated simultaneously, which doubles the need of personnel and halves the efficiency of works.
However, with the use of a double clamp vise, two workpieces with either the same or different thicknesses, sizes, and shapes can be clamped in the meantime. The order of clamping on different sizes of workpieces would be adjusted with the interaction of a screwing rod and a screwing tube by the force of rotating the crank.
A double clamp vise is formed by a main base, a screwing rod, a screwing tube, a main spring, a crank with a handle, and a power assist module. On the base, there are two movable jaws, a fixed jaw between them, and a rail.
● The rail is engaged by the first inner thread of the front jaw and the second inner thread of the rear jaw.
● The screwing rod consists of a front portion and a rear portion, which the diameter of the rear one with an outer thread is greater than the front one. The two portions of the screwing rod are formed by a step, which differentiate the threshold between them. The rear portion of the screwing rod is connected with the rear jaw by its outer thread and the inner thread of the rear jaw.
● The screwing tube, which is wrapped around the front portion of the screwing rod, is connected with the front jaw by its outer thread and the inner thread of the front jaw. In addition, there is an anti-rotation component which is placed in between the front portion of the screwing rod and the screwing tube, which means that the screwing tube can be axially connected to but cannot be rotated against the front portion of the screwing rod.
● The main spring is placed around the front portion of the screwing rod and nipped between the step and the front portion of the screwing rod to provide an extension force.
● The rear movable jaw is engaged with the rear portion of the screwing rod and the front movable jaw is engaged with the screwing tube. With the interaction of the screwing rod and screwing tube, it provides the contrary spiral direction of the front and rear outer threads, and further makes the two movable jaws move inward or outward in the contrary direction, in order to clamp the two workpieces simultaneously.
● The crank with a handle is arranged to connect with the front portion of the screwing rod. With the rotation of the handle, the crank provides the force of clamping the two workpieces.
● The power assist module is penetrated by two fixing rods, each of them consists of a pin and a head. With the pushing and pulling of two adjustable springs, the module can be slid along the fixing rods against the main base so as to provide the clamping force.
A double clamp vise specially features in clamping two workpieces with different thicknesses, sizes and shapes at the same time. Take working with two pieces with different thicknesses, and the other features stay the same, for example. Let’s see how does a double clamp vise work.
Put the two workpieces in between the fixed and two movable jaws. Rotate the handle of the crank, the double clamp force will stop clamping the thinner workpiece first. Then, with the main spring extends or compresses by the force of the crank, the power assist module will be pushed inward or pulled outward to clamp the thicker workpiece. Followed by the thinker workpiece, the thinner one will be clamped afterward.
Thus, the clamping force to the two workpieces can stay equal in order to prevent the defects of the products made by the machining works from being found. In addition, there may be an additional limiting screw set behind the step on the rear portion of the screwing rod. Since the step is between the screwing tube and the screwing rod, with the force of the limiting screw, it can prevent the screwing tube from moving too much backward in order to keep the double clamp vise working with the optimal stability.
IMTS Exhibition includes manufacturers from around the world. Send us a message with your requirements and our IMTS Experts will happily help you with your questions.
You can see all Double Clamp Vise categories