Cylindrical grinders are the most prominent grinding machines used in the grinding process in which the cylindrical work pieces’ outer diameter and internal diameters can be well treated. With that said, the cylindrical grinders are able to work on a variety of shapes and surfaces, but on the premise that the object must have a central axis of rotation, for example, a cylinder, ellipse, cam, crankshaft and other shapes.
In the 18th century after the industrial revolution, the European middle class had arisen. With the increased consuming capability, people wanted their purchased products to be well polished and finished, hence leading to the development of grinding machines. To better fill the demands of higher quality products like clocks, watches, and bicycles, the question of how to go about honing the grinding methods to yield the intended results started to emerge, and the idea of cylindrical grinders were later discussed and experimented, and the machine itself was eventually invented.
Cylindrical grinders are very straightforward, purpose-oriented devices. Although their specifications differ among different brands, the fundamental elements that constitutes a working cylindrical grinder are vastly the same:
1. The cylindrical grinding machine must be rotating constantly alongside the object.
2. The object is positioned perpendicular to the grinder during the shaping process.
3. The work piece must also be rotating constantly with the grinding wheel.
4. The grinding process must be performed in a unique “toward and away” motion when the grinding wheel is fed.
Most cylindrical grinding machines you see in the applicable industries involve all four for these elements, with some employing at least three of the four elements.
There are two basic machining methods for the cylindrical grinders: traverse grinding and in-feed grinding. For the cylindrical grinding machines, wheel spindle bearing is also an important component that needs to be watched out for. In the mechanical sector, bearing is an essential machine component that constrains relative movement to the desired motion, and it is responsible of reducing friction between the moving parts.
The design of the spindle bearing may be of free linear movement of the moving part; it may also offer a free motion by controlling the vectors of normal forces that bear on the moving parts. In a nutshell, wheel spindle bearings are designed to fit into the spindles of the cylindrical grinding machines that are structured to be mounted onto the machine body. So, all types of grinding machine spindles are developed with bearings inside for these mechanical purposes.
There are five types of cylindrical grinding machining:
● Outside diameter grinding: The grinding of the OD of the work pieces
● Inside diameter grinding: The grinding of the ID of the work pieces
● Centerless grinding: The machining process utilizing grinding without spindles or fixtures involved.
● Plunge grinding: Within the centerless category, the work piece of centerless plunge grinding is ground using a plunge method by which the grinding wheel is fed along the work piece.
● Creep feed grinding: The grinding of a geometric form. A much heavier grinding depth combined with a slow traverse rate which is designed with a profiled grinding wheel.
The cylindrical grinder is developed in conjunction with the progression of industry and technology. Any situation in which extremely precise metal working is needed; the cylindrical grinder is able to provide a high level of precision machining.
● Automotive Industry: Engine case grinding is the most popular cylindrical grinding applications. Others are things like cylindrical shaped shock absorber related work pieces.
● Textile Industry: Yarn grinding machines are widely applied in the textile machinery for the yarn processing.
● Medical Industry: In the orthopedic segment, the grinding of implants such as femoral knees, tibia trays, etc.
For users to choose an appropriate cylindrical grinder, the control system is the key. Most cylindrical grinding machines are now controlled by either NC or CNC controllers to eliminate the problems that one would have encountered with conventional machine interface. Before you look into the spindle, wheel, working table, etc., you need to check the controlling unit first and the feasibility of the corresponding connection with your existing machineries to ensure smooth and coordinated workflow.
IMTS Exhibition includes manufacturers from around the world. Send us a message with your requirements and our IMTS Experts will happily help you with your questions.
What is a Hydraulic Shearing Machine?
Tee Forming Machine Designed with Great Productivity
Here's What People Are Saying About Metal Cutting Band Saw
Introducing Aluminium Spot Welder
Introduction to Stainless Steel Investment Casting