Mini Mill Drills Can Give You Maximum Performance
10 Precision Components manufactured with CNC Machine Tools
An Introduction to Boring Machines
Here's What People Are Saying About Metal Cutting Band Saw
The Origin of the Sawing Concept: History and Future
Cylindrical grinders are the most prominent grinding machines used in the grinding process in which the cylindrical work pieces’ outer diameter and internal diameters can be well treated. With this regard, cylindrical grinder can do a lot of profile machining with its wheels for a variety of cylindrical shapes.
In the eighteenth century, after the industrial revolution, the middle class rose and boomed into the market. Consumers of this class stimulate the development of grinding machines because they pursue finished, polished, well treated end products. So the consumption of clocks, watches, and bicycles started to boom in the central Europe and the question about how to deal with the quality demands for the massively produced work pieces became an issue then. During the time, universal cylindrical grinders were discussed and eventually cylindrical grinding machines were invented.
There are many processing characteristics of cylindrical grinders, but only four of them are commonly admitted by industrial users as the most essential four. Here we list them as below:
Firstly, the work pieces shall be constantly rotating.
Secondly, the grinding wheel (cutter) shall also be constantly rotating.
Thirdly, the wheel has to be designed to feed towards and away from the work pieces.
Last, work pieces and the wheels are transverse with respect to the other.
For external diameter cylindrical grinders, the machine aims the machining of external surface of the cylindrical work pieces, and the basic machining processes are two: The first one is traverse grinding and the other one is in-feed grinding. For the cylindrical grinding machines, wheel spindle bearing is also an important issue that needs to be dealt with. In the mechanical sector, bearing is a machine component that is essential that constrains relative movement to the desired motion, and it is responsible of reducing friction between the moving parts.
The design of the spindle bearing may off free linear movement of the moving part. At the same time, it may also offer a free motion by controlling the vectors of normal forces that bear on the moving parts. Totally speaking, wheel spindle bearings are designed to fit into the cylindrical grinding machines’ spindles that are structured to be mounted onto the machine body. So, all types of grinding machine spindles are developed with bearings inside for these mechanical purposes.
There are five types of cylindrical grinding machining. Here the present article enlist them as below:
● Outside diameter grinding: The grinding of the OD of the work pieces
● Inside diameter grinding: The grinding of the ID of the work pieces
● Centerless grinding: The machining process utilizing grinding without spindles or fixtures involved.
● Plunge grinding: Within the centerless category, the work piece of centerless plunge grinding is ground using a plunge method by which the grinding wheel is fed along the work piece.
● Creep feed grinding: The grinding of a geometric form. A much heavier grinding depth combined with a slow traverse rate which is designed with a profiled grinding wheel.
The cylindrical grinder is developed for a elaboration of inventions in the progression of industry and technology. Any situation in which extremely precise metal working is needed; the cylindrical grinder is able to provide a high level of precision machining.
● Automotive Industry: Engine case grinding is the most popular cylindrical grinding applications. Others are things like cylindrical shaped shock absorber related work pieces.
● Textile Industry: Yarn grinding machines are widely applied in the textile machinery for the yarn processing.
● Medical Industry: In the orthopedic segment, the grinding of implants such as femoral knees, tibia trays, etc.
For users to choose an appropriate cylindrical grinder, the control system is the key. Most cylindrical grinding machines are now controlled by either NC or CNC controllers. How to operate those different human machine interfaces are problems that often get users stocked in dilemma. Before you look into the spindle, wheel, working table, etc, you shall check the controlling unit first and the possibility of the corresponding connection with your existing machineries, so that the production process can be well coordinated with ease and smooth.
MTS Exhibition includes manufacturers from around the world. Send us a message with your requirements and our MTS Experts will happily help you with your questions.